APPRENTICE ACADEMY SUPERVISOR - THOROUGHBRED RACING SA
Thoroughbred Racing SA Limited (TRSA) is the Principal Racing Authority under the Rules of Racing, and is responsible for the administration and regulation of thoroughbred horse racing within South Australia, including responsibility for the TRSA Apprentice Academy (TAA) tasked with the training of Apprentice Jockeys. TRSA seeks applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Apprentice Academy Supervisor.
Reporting to the Chairman of Stewards, the key responsibilities of the position are:
- Manage the TAA, plan and coordinate the annual program, instructors & service providers, and guest speaker presentations.
- Manage and ensure compliance of the Apprentice/Trainer (Master) Indentures/ Agreements.
- In collaboration with identified Sports Psychologist professionals and the Australian Jockeys Association provide career counselling and advice to Apprentice Jockeys (including prospective Apprentice Jockeys) attending the TAA.
- Coordination and provision of wellbeing, counselling, educational support, mentoring and guidance in respect of all Apprentice Jockeys in South Australia.
- Identify opportunities for the promotion of the TAA Apprentice Jockeys as professional, high performance athletes.
- Implementation of the TAA processes and procedures in conjunction with the TRSA Integrity (Stewards) department.
- Manage and ensure compliance (including random audits) of Apprentice Jockey wages paid by employers (Trainer/Master) in accordance with the applicable Fair Work Australia Award determination as may apply from time to time.
- Manage the Apprentice Jockey Trust Accounts including payment approvals.
- Manage Visa applications for International Apprentice Jockey placements with TRSA/TAA.
- Manage and ensure compliance of Apprentice Jockey enrolments in the relevant TafeSA (or equivalent) course – Cert IV (Jockey).
- Manage and coordinate the annual TAA Awards function.
- Attend race meetings in a supporting role for the Apprentice Jockeys enrolled in the TAA as agreed with the Stewards (Integrity) department.
- Manage and coordinate the South Australian leg of the National Apprentice Series.
- Manage and coordinate local Apprentice Series races as may be programmed from time to time.
The position will require work outside of normal business hours, including weekends and public holidays and some intrastate/interstate travel.
Key skills, experience and qualifications:
The successful applicant will demonstrate the following skills/qualifications/experience –
- Knowledge and understanding of the thoroughbred racing industry.
- Experience in public speaking and presenting to a wide range of audiences and media.
- Sound communication, interpersonal, leadership and people development skills.
- High level stakeholder management experience.
- Sound organisational skills and the ability to prioritise according to demands.
- Analytical and problem solving skills that deliver practical solutions.
- Ability to maintain the highest levels of integrity and confidentiality.
- Sound written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to consult and resolve conflict.
- Computer literacy with particular regard to MS Office – Excel and Word.
- High levels of flexibility and adaptability, including the ability to deal with pressure, ambiguity and change.
The successful applicant must be able to provide the following –
- A copy of his/her Driver’s License.
- A National Criminal History Record Check and Screening Assessment.
The successful applicant will be provided a remuneration package commensurate to their relevant experience.
All applications and inquiries will be treated with the strictest confidence and should be directed to –
Chairman of Stewards
Thoroughbred Racing SA Limited
GPO Box 2646
Adelaide SA 5001
Phone: (08) 8179 9820
Applications will be received until 5.00 pm Friday, 31 March 2017