- Highly rated racing track with good racing and event facilities
- Enthusiastic racing committee looking to develop club to its full potential
- Attractive remuneration and location
A great opportunity to manage and develop successful racing operations at a regional centre located on the doorstep of the Great Barrier Reef and the Whitsundays.
Mackay Turf Club is one of Queensland’s leading Thoroughbred racing clubs and premier functions & events facilities, conducting over 20 midweek races and eight feature race days throughout the year. Operating for over 145 years, the Mackay Turf Club has been committed to horse racing and was one of the first regional clubs to inaugurate its still very popular Melbourne Cup Day meeting.
The Mackay Turf Club is seeking an enthusiastic Racing/Operations Manager to oversee the day to day racing operations and facilities maintenance while contributing to the development and profitability of the Club.
The key areas of responsibility will include:
- Manage all day to day club racing activities;
- Manage training facilities and training services;
- Manage ground staff;
- Maximise various revenue streams;
- Deliver effective cost control and financial management;
- Liaise with the Commercial Manager to deliver ground requirements for Events
- Build strong internal and external relationships that will continue to drive great outcomes for the Club;
- Administration of the WH&S policies and records.
The successful applicant will need to demonstrate:
- A Certificate/Diploma/Tertiary qualifications in an appropriate discipline;
- Proven successful experience in the field or fields relevant to the racing industry;
- An understanding of the racing and related industries and their current and future challenges;
- Knowledge and understanding of racing thoroughbreds is desirable but not essential;
- Experience in leading a team and supervising staff;
- Understanding of governance and reporting to committees;
- Sound financial and budget management skills;
- Understanding of the requirements for track and facilities maintenance;
- Commitment to excellence in customer service and stakeholder management at all levels;
- Have held a similar position elsewhere and be able to demonstrate success in all areas of responsibility;
- The ability to lead as well as establish and maintain key relationships.
In order to hold this position with the Club, the successful applicant will need to meet these requirements:
- Must not be a horse racing trainer or work for a trainer in any capacity;
- Must be prepared to undergo a criminal history check;
- Must be present for all race days;
- Commence work at 4am;
- Work on weekends and extended hours when reasonably required;
- Travel intrastate if required;
- Hold a current driver’s licence;
- Undertake a performance review after 3 months from commencement.
This position will be available for immediate start.
Please forward to your application and resume to the Chairman of the Mackay Turf Club by FRIDAY 17TH MARCH, 2017 via the following means:
Mackay Turf Club
PO Box 5971
MACKAY MAIL CENTRE QLD 4741
OR BY EMAIL:
General information regarding the Mackay Turf Club is available on their website at www.mackayturfclub.com.au.